The Roebuck Inn was another pub next door to a Methodist Chapel (see Board Inn), this Inn was located on the south (Amblecote) side of Brettell Lane at number 105.
Roebuck Inn (centre).
Front of Roebuck Inn.
Roebuck Inn to the right of Chapel.
At present it is not known when the Roebuck Inn was built or when it opened. The architecture of the buildings in Park Terrace to the right are similar, and the chimney stack appears to be shared between the Inn and the house next door, so it was probably built as an Inn at the same time as the houses. The Chapel was built in the 1830's and the Acorn Inn (a few doors to the right) in the late 1860's, and this terrace of four houses and the Inn fits neatly in between. On the other (left) side of the Chapel there were four houses that appear to have been built in the same style as Park Terrace to the right. The 1871 census also lists a grocery shop to the left of the houses, listed as Park Terrace, but, unlike the Roebuck Inn, it was not built in the style of the houses.
The 1861 census does not use house numbers, and no person seems to fit the role of an Inn Keeper, so was the Roebuck in existance then ? In 1871 the Roebuck Inn is listed, and the licensee is shown as Benjamin Pearson, an 'engine smith', born 1832 in Stourbridge. Benjamin was living in Ravensitch (on the east side of Amblecote) in 1861 with Prudence Dawes, whom he had wed in September 1852, and three children. He was described as an 'engine smith at colliery'.
The Pearsons were still there in 1881, Benjamin being now described as 'engine driver at factory & publican'.
1891 saw William Broadhurst installed as licensee of the Roebuck Inn. Described as 'Beerhouse keeper & glassmaker', William was born in 1851 in Warrington, Lancs, another glassmaking area. William wed Amblecote girl Alice Male at Holy Trinity Church, Amblecote in September 1888, and by 1891 they had three children.
The 1901 census shows 31 year old William Henry Baggott living at 105 Brettell Lane, the Roebuck Inn, with wife Mary Ann and their two daughters. All are shown as being born in Brierley Hill. William is described as a 'carman' working for the 'London and North West Railway', no mention of this being an Inn or anyone being innkeepers.
Alfred Perks is recorded as the last licensee, and the licence lapsed at the end of 1909.
The building was demolished in July 1991 so that a new, larger, Methodist Chapel could be erected.
The end of the Roebuck Inn.
© amblecote history society 2009