The Little Pig Inn
The Little Pig Inn is situated on the west side (canal side) of the High Street, between Wollaston Road and Platts Crescent, near to the Fish crossroads.
The Little Pig Inn - date unknown
The Little Pig was named after the small mugs called 'pigs' that were used for dipping into pails of ale. Although quite a rare pub name these days, there was another nearby - in the 1880's Mrs Elizabeth Allchurch was the publican of a Little Pig in Coventry Street, Stourbridge. Interestingly, there was a crossing of the River Stour close to Bedcote Mill which was known as the pig's ford. Indeed, the main ford of the river at the bottom of the High Street was called the swine's crossing. Could these have had a bearing on the pub names?
Local born George Hall, a 35 year old glassmaker, became the landlord of the Little Pig in 1860. whilst his wife, Smethwich born Mary (33), ran the pub. Hereford-born Thomas Fuller (31) lived on the premises. and produced The Little Pig's strong dark mild - a popular brew in the industrial age. Another glass cutter, John Hems, bought the pub in 1868, by which time the pub was a full alehouse. He was succeeded by widowed innkeeper Esther Wooldridge, born in Wollaston in 1837, she lived at the Little Pig with her daughter and two sons. The business was transferred to Bucknalls of Kidderminster in 1895 and, a year later, they amalgamated with George Elwell's Delph Brewery to form Worcestershire Brewing and Malting Company Ltd - later becoming Kidderminster Brewery in 1906. It was in that year that the licensee, John Wooldridge, purchased The Little Pig and the pub started brewing it's own ales once more.
Little Pig around 1907
This continued up until 1926 when the new owner, Edward Fletcher, sold the pub to Joule and Sons Ltd; of Stone.
Samuel Edwin Beebee was the licensee between 1913 and 1919
The brewery demolished the old ale house in 1930.
The Inn about 1929, now owned by Joules, with William Hawkins as the licensee.
It was replacied with a new roadhouse style building. erected by T. W. Edwards & Sons (Audnam) Ltd. The last licensee of the old pub was John Pickford and the first licensee of the new pub was Bernard Williams. The pub returned to free house status in later years.
The new road-house style Inn c1950
During their time in Amblecote, owner Ken Banks and his partner furnished the pub with 1,086 decorative pigs, 20% of which were gifts from the regulars who brought them back from their travels. The pub was acquired by Michael Dickinson in December 2001, a well known publican in and around Stourbridge having run the Fountain Inn at Clent before buying the Seven Stars in Oldswinford. He sold the Inn to Burtonwood Breweries on May 22nd 2003
c1825 - 1851 John Flavell - was described as a Shop Keeper in the 1841 census - died early in 1851.
1851 - 1852 Martha Flavell - was described as Shop Keeper & Inn Keeper in the April 1851 census.
1852 - 1860 Edward Ashton
1860 - 1868 George Hall.
1868 - 1878 John Lee Hems.
1878 - 1895 Esther Wooldridge
1895 - 1908 John William Wooldridge.
1908 - 1909 Robert Anson.
1909 - 1913 Joseph Walter Hobson.
1913 - 1919 Samuel Edwin Beebee.
1919 - 1921 Samuel Rollaston.
1921 - 1926 Edward Fletcher.
1926 - 1929 William Hawkins.
1929 - 1930 John Pickford.
1930 - 1938 Bernard Ruffin Williams.
1938 - 1945 Albert Garnet Edwards.
1945 - 1962 Clifford Bridgens
1962 - 1973 Reginald Frank Jones.
1973 - 1983 Robert Pocklington.
1983 - 2001 Kenneth Bernard Banks.
2001 - 2003 Michael Dickinson.
2003 - Stephen John Hull.
© amblecote history society 2013