The Glassmaker's Arms stood opposite the Fish Inn on the corner of High Street and Collis Street. However, like the glass industry of Amblecote itself, the building has passed into history. Today, a statue of a glassblower stands on the site of the pub. One of Amblecote's most famous glassworks operated across the road from the Glassmaker's Arms - the pub was almost certainly named because of this.
In its early days this pub was listed as a hotel. William Vaughan was the publican at the time of the 1901 census. Born in Worcester in 1865, he also worked as a wheelwright. Five years younger, his wife Louisa hailed from Stourbridge. The couple had three daughters - Mable, Mary and Florence. They employed Kinver-born Jane Pantrall as a general servant.
The Glassmaker's Arms was acquired by Bent's Brewery of Stone and Liverpool. It was they who remodelled the pub just before the Second World War. The company and its 514 public houses were snapped up by Bass Charrington in 1967. Bent's covered the Glassmaker's Arms in Vitrolite, a patented form of architectural sheet glass that was first introduced to British shop fronts during the 1930's. Also in keeping with the times, they fitted a 'Bents' neon sign above the front door. The Vitrolite exterior, now a rare sight on English high streets, was removed in 1970.
1868/72 - Alfred Turner.
1880 - Christopher Turner.
1884/6 - George Nicklin.
1888 - Charles William Jelfs.
1900 - William H. Vaughan.
1914/21 - John Edward Hill.
1936 - Edgar John Adey.
1940 - Frederick Vickers.
The Glassmakers Arms in 1920's.
The Glassmakers Arms in late 1930's, shortly before remodelling.
© amblecote history society 2010