The Board Inn
The Board Inn was situated on the west side of the High Street (variously known as Coalbournebrook, Stourbridge Turnpike and Wolverhampton Road), just about opposite King William Street, and to the left of the Methodist Chapel.
Board Inn just below the chapel in c1920.
1851 saw George Grainger, a maltster, keeping the pub, but by 1861 Thomas Wood, a licensed victualler, was running the pub for George. The pub only had a six-day licence meaning it closed on Sundays. With George’s demise in 1886, James Billingham took over running the pub, described as a retailer of wines and spirits in 1891. James died in 1904 aged 73 years, and the pub closed its doors in 1913.
In the 1940's it was a greengrocer shop run by Alf Withers, and remained so until it was demolished in 1991.
Demolition of what was the Board Inn in August 1991.
The grocery shop was in the room on the right.
Rear of the Board Inn, with King William Street opposite.
Demolition almost complete.
© amblecote history society 2009