Robert de Waure
Robert de Waure was born in Amblecote about 1227 at what, presumably, was Amblecote Manor or Hall. He was the son of William de Waure, born about 1190. This is believed to have been located in the area just to the east of the railway line in the fork where Vicarage Road splits into Hillfields Road and Kirkstone Way. Amblecote Hall is shown there on a map of 1686 which details the holdings of the Enville estate at the time the Manor was inherited by John Grey.
The name suggests that Robert was of noble Norman birth. The word Norman is a coruption of Norseman , they were the descendants of Vikings who invaded the north of France and set up the kingdom of Normandy.
His daughter, Cecily (or Cecilia), born about 1255, was married to William de Stafford, the Earl of Stafford. The Manor of Amblecote descended through the Stafford family to Eleanor Strangways. Her son, Sir Giles Strangways, kt., sold the Manor to Rowland Shakerley in 1540, who conveyed it in the same year to Thomas Grey. It passed through the Grey family to Sir Henry Grey, who was created Lord Grey of Groby in 1603. In 1686 the Manor passed to Sir Henry’s great-grandson John Grey of Enville, and the Grey family owned most of the land in and around Amblecote up to relatively recent times.
The land on which Churchill
Drive is built was purchased from the Grey family immediately after WW2 by
Amblecote Urban District Council.
© amblecote history society 2009