William Elcock

     Here is a nice photograph of W Elcock cutting a piece of glass at Thomas Webb in 1923. It is labelled ‘No. 4. Cutting. “Smoothing” Process.’, so it may have come from a brochure of that time.
     William Elcock was born in 1883 at 26 High Street, Wollaston to John Elcock (a glass cutter) and Lillius A Gough, whom he wed in 1870 at St Mary’s Church, Oldswinford, and had at least 8 siblings. By 1901 the family had moved to 35 Collis Street, and consisted of the parents, William and 4 younger sisters.
     A number of houses in Collis Street were built by Thomas Webb for their workers, so this may have been a ‘company’ house.
     William wed Lillian Compson of Belle Vue, Wordsley, in 1911 at Holy Trinity Church, Wordsley.

         Contents

To contact us

          ©  amblecote history society 2012